Friday, April 8, 2011

Mentalist

Lying awake (again) at 5am and the mind wandered onto some of the mental or psychological aspects of the PCP. Ok so I only did one psychology semester at uni, but for the most part it seemed like common sense - at times disguised by psychobabble.

One of the things I like about PCP is that it's based on common sense with clear and rational reasons for doing what we do and eating (or not eating) what we eat, leading to tangible results, and relatively quickly. This is crucial when eating/doing this things we don't like (more eggwhites anyone? and would you like a few more floorjumps to go with that?).

Anyway, back to the mental side.  While I don't doubt that achieving the physical improvements we're seeking is largely driven by diet, the mental aspect of this whole program is huge. One of my main reasons for entering into it was to test myself mentallly.

The PCP is a welcome mental distraction from work and helps put things in perspective i.e. wellbeing comes first.  That said, the program has boosted my effectiveness at work as I find my energy levels increase (I believe that's what they call a win-win...)

There have been the occassional transgressions of 'the rules' (a glass of red here, a bit too much olive oil there, a skipped exercise etc.) invariably followed by remorse.  Turning this it into something positive by telling myself to re-double my efforts and then acting on it rather than saying that the occassional trangressions won't do any harm is a mental challenge and significant benefit of the PCP (assuming the test is passed of course).

If this makes no sense, blame insomnia...

1 comment:

  1. Mate - come back from there. I think you're going Colonel Kurtz...

    ReplyDelete